July 16, 2013

Making stuff.

There's a lot happening in the world that I can't digest and it just feels so heavy sometimes, doesn't it? I could easily find myself hiding in a closet in the fetal position - trying to avoid all the failing systems and failing families and failing hope around me. But then that might look like my hope is failing too and it's not. It's just taking a beating. In your face, world...I'm tougher than a beating. 

To combat the feeling that everything is wackytown, I like to make stuff (also, I have a deeply-rooted gratitude practice, but this post is about making stuff). A couple of weeks ago I started brewing my own kombucha, which is a tea that is fermented with a yeasty, bacteria-filled culture. Sounds amazing, right? It is. And the probiotics are so good for my belly! I learned from a friend, who also gave me the starter culture, called a scoby (pictured below). However, I did find a website with nice, detailed instructions if anyone is interested. See here. Most websites will probably suggest using black or green tea, but I brew mine with only herbal tea and it works just as well. 





























This is the batch I bottled yesterday. I flavored it with mint leaves, which is what you can see floating around. Should be ready to drink in a few more days. Yum!


























Also, I made this raw cheesecake over the weekend. I didn't have a springfoam pan, which is why it's not as thick. And it's topped with blended strawberries. Delicious!

That's all, folks.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet! You'll have to let us know how the kombucha goes! If it's as good as the stuff at the health food store, I might join you (if I can get a mother). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! You'll have to let us know how the kombucha goes! If it's as good as the stuff at the health food store, I might join you (if I can get a mother). :)

    ReplyDelete