July 17, 2012

Trip: Good-bye farm.




Friday was my last day at the farm and is also the day the community prepares for the Sabbath (Saturday for them). We wrapped things up early in the garden, so I went to the main house to help prepare for their Friday celebration. That evening we gathered in the lovely patio area--everyone looking their best (thankfully the women borrowed me clothing since I was covered in dirt). We ate fruit, members of the community shared what was in their hearts, we prayed and sang, there was Israeli folk dancing, and then a delicious meal followed by more dancing and singing. What an experience...

My friend Lisa drove out for the celebration and noticed right away how strong the marriages are--that they understand how being united as a couple is important for them and also important for the community--so their focus is always on love and serving. The children are happy and confident because they have purpose and a huge extended family around to teach and nurture them.

When I left they all stood and sang a farewell song and as I looked at their faces I thought about how strange and beautiful it is that you can come to love people in such a short amount of time. Nothing I could say would do justice to what I learned and felt among them--definitely not just about gardening. I think I left my heart there!

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of the part about a similarly simple farming community in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I love the idea of weighing out things that are nice in the present with others which last and are truly more fulfilling. I love the people who weigh these things and actually choose the better of them. Thanks for being one and showing us others Heather.

    ReplyDelete