March 7, 2012

Bean-free Hummus

I made a variation on this recipe for raw hummus (mostly due to a lack of a few ingredients) 
and it turned out delicious. I like hummus because you can experiment with different flavors—
I’m going to try replacing the red pepper with artichokes maybe? Mmmm. Here's what I did:

½ c sesame seeds, ground into powder
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp sea salt
11/2 c.seeded and diced red bell pepper
1/2 c. diced carrots
1/3 c tahini
¼ c lime juice
few drops of lemon essential oil
½ tsp ground cumin

Process sesame seeds, garlic, and salt into small pieces, then add remaining ingredients and 
process until smooth. I use a hand grinder for the sesame seeds, but an electric coffee bean grinder 
can also be used. I kind of love hand-cranking, so that's my preference.

I spoon the hummus into a little glass jar that I take to work and use on salad or as
 a dip for sliced veggies. It’s so tasty and only takes about ten minutes to make...an 
easy addition to any raw meal.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment