March 6, 2012

Confessions of a vegetarian, FHE, and what I learned at the orthodontist’s office.


Confession: Last night I drove past Iceberg and imagined eating a hamburger and today I thought about eating a piece of ham. I don’t think I even craved ham when I was a carnivore. So anyway, I’m not the only veg who indulges these thoughts, which is why I’m comfortable putting it on the world wide web. 

Last night I gathered with four friends for something that Mormons call Family Home Evening (or FHE). Normally you do this kind of thing with your family, but we’re all single…so we’re a family of single friends. And we get together and talk about awesome things like fear and how to overcome it. And then we sometimes play a game that makes us laugh to tears. And it’s beginning to be an anchor for me...because it’s like we’re all in this together. I’m grateful for that. 

This afternoon I looked at People magazine when I was waiting to get my braces tightened (because I’m in Jr. High again, if you’ll remember) and learned that Whitney Houston died. What the??! Why didn’t anyone tell me? She was so awesome when I was in the 5th grade and in my head she’s like 30 years old. Which means I’m older than her. And that’s messed up. 

3 comments:

  1. I am laughing so hard! I can't believe you hadn't heard that Whitney H-town died!!! I like your style. I'm with you though - pretty shocking but even more shocking that that class act who gave us one moment in time could have been into drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just sent me on a YouTube course of listening to every Whitney Houston song. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the same boat as you on Whitney Houston, though just a few days earlier. Drugs? It was hard on me. Especially when one of the Laurels I work with explained it to me. I didn't know what to say. "How can she know that I won't fail her now?" Then I realized that Whitney Houston is not a role model for her. She just happened to know about the situation from TV. Trust was restored and we returned our attentions to the lds pop star concert at hand, mostly because Haini from the Jets was about to get up and play some guitar. (Sorry, I HAD to say ALL of that!)

    ReplyDelete