February 27, 2012

Baby steps.


It was this cutie nephew's first birthday yesterday. He's the most jolly one-year-old I have ever known (and I'm quite smitten.) Happy birthday, little love.

My thoughts about how to pursue the things I feel called to are always evolving. Right now I know two things (and have known for some time): I want to grow food for myself and others and I want to become more familiar with holistic healing modalities. I do believe that either one of these things (or a combination of them) could provide a living at some point, but for now I have to chip away at them slowly while still spending most of my week at work. It’s hard to be patient and hard to see the path that is ahead, but I will say that whenever I put effort in the direction I want to go, there is fruit of some kind—whether it’s just a boost of confidence or a new idea—something inevitably comes. It’s the law of the harvest or the idea that all blessings are predicated on a law. If I abide the law (follow a prompting, put forth the effort) then the blessings have to come. It’s nice to be able to count on that. Here are two recent examples:

Two weeks ago I quit one of my jobs, which was one step I needed to take in order to free up time to pursue other more meaningful (to me) things. As soon as I quit one job, my other job offered me the few more hours I had been hoping for. Even though I picked up more hours at one job, I’ve gained more day-time hours, plus nights and weekends that I won’t be prepping for or working at a race. It’s such a blessing.

Last week I found out about a new community garden that is starting—and is totally free. Bless the soul of some boy scout working on an eagle project! There’s plenty of space and the soil is great, so I staked out a plot…even though the prospect feels slightly daunting (crazy how much I want to grow food, and how uneducated I am about it at the same time). Since then I’ve had some new ideas come about gardening opportunities and I'm really excited.

My goal is to do at least one thing every week that keeps me moving in the right direction. It’s amazing how much even small things help my momentum. When I met up with my friend Lisa at Christmas time, she shared with me a thought that a friend had shared with her years before--basically that unless we have a plan, there's a good chance we will end up doing something mediocre. Even though my plans are typically no further than a week out, they do feel deliberate and that's important to me. Looking forward to documenting my journey (both the good and bad) here. Your thoughts/advice/wisdom are always welcome!  

1 comment:

  1. Heather! I love to read your blog!!! You always inspire me in some way, whether reading your blog or simply talking with you! I love to read about your experiences! You are so faithful and clearly you are blessed for it!!! You are such a great example to me in every single way! We miss you so much and I cannot wait to see you in a few weeks!!! I love these pics! I seriously had to text Darci just now to ask her if Asher really is ALREADY one!!!! Time flies too fast!

    ReplyDelete