September 9, 2011

Photo Friday


Walden's Pond is the deepest lake in Massachusetts, and the lake Thoreau chose to live by, and the lake I chose to visit on Labor Day. I like the symbolism of his having chosen (probably unawares) to live by the deepest lake around. Anyway, the water really is that greenish blue, and I couldn't help but hear his thoughts which I have read countless times in the foreground of my thoughts as I circled the lake's circumference. 

"In wilderness is the preservation of the World" 
amen, friend, amen

-e.r. 


Labor Day was apparently awe-to-the-some for both of us. I went on a trail run in the morning and then stayed at the trailhead and read, slept, thought in the back of my car for two more hours. It rained. I didn’t think I would be able to leave, but eventually I got hungry. Blasted natural man. If I were Thoreau maybe I could have figured out how to stay for two years instead of two hours.

-h.s.

2 comments:

  1. If this blog ever ends my life just won't be the same. Thanks Heather, Erin and I won't forget the Liz days (not so long ago)! Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I'm so jealous! I've wanted to visit Walden for years. Louisa May Alcott's house there is really worth it as well. Lots of Liberal Arts education stuff. Love it.

    And me too - I LOVE being able to check in on what's going on with you on the blog, because I miss you both SO much!!

    ReplyDelete