September 21, 2011

Art, Cake, Beirut

This picture is mostly for Liz, who requested to see more of our faces on this blog. So here’s my face in your face! I’m also trying to show off the art behind my head…a gift from my neighbors…possibly the most generous people I’ve ever known. It’s a painting on a vinyl record and I love it.

I invited over said neighbors and some other friends for dessert last week (which was lovely). Dessert was inspired by a flourless chocolate cake that Liz’s sister served up for her bachelorette party. I decided to try a vegan version of a flourless recipe I found online and it turned out Delicious (with a capital D!), so I thought I would share the recipe:

In double boiler melt 1 oz of semisweet chocolate with ½ c. of coconut manna. I found manna at our health food store—it’s creamy, spreadable coconut meat that can replace butter (heaven!).

Remove from heat and stir in ¾ c. agave, ½ c. cocoa powder, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 3 flax “eggs” (1 Tbsp. ground flax seed mixed with 3 Tbsp. water=1 egg, so you’ll need three of that combination. Stir the water and flax until it’s combined really well).

Grease an 8” round cake pan and sprinkle with cocoa. Pour mixture into pan and bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and then turn out of pan. Top with fresh fruit (I used fresh figs and raspberries).

Enjoy!

Finally, have any of you heard Beirut’s new album? Turns out I’m not yet worn out by Balkan tunes. Here's a favorite:

1 comment:

  1. It's good to hear Beirut again. Those old familiar friends. It's even better to see your face! Particularly your eyes in this case, to be exact. Miss you :).

    ReplyDelete