August 29, 2011

Food confessions.

I’ve been vegetarian for just over a year now…not a difficult adjustment at all, by the way. It’s only difficult socially, but that’s more because I am also gluten-free (by necessity). A girl I go to church with asked me over for dinner and I almost had a heart attack—not sure yet how to gracefully accept invitations without feeling like I’m a burden. Also, there seems to be a lot of assumptions made about vegetarians. I told one of my co-workers and literally the next sentence out of his mouth (in an attempt to relate) was, “I almost joined the peace corps.” Is that funny? I thought it was funny.

I’m constantly trying to figure out how to confess my vegetarianism, which I only do when the need arises. It can be such a heated topic, although I personally feel no deep passion about it—I mean in terms of spreading the good word of vegetarianism. I don’t know if it’s ideal, but I know it’s ideal for me right now and a lot of thought went into the decision. So that’s that. I’m veg. And it’s nice to have it out on the world wide web.  

While I’m at it, I wanted to confess something else. When I was in elementary I attended a birthday party and cheated on a game so that I could win a jar of malted milk balls. I still feel horrible about it. Horrible. To all of my elementary playmates, if you’re out there, know that I am deeply sorry. Know also that bad things have been restored to me because now I can’t even eat malted milk balls due to the gluten thing I mentioned earlier.

Phew.

And while I’m still at it…on the topic of food…I’ve had two friends ask me in the last two weeks what is the difference between cold caffeine and hot caffeine. They are attempting to understand the LDS Word of Wisdom. I don’t think there is a difference, but certainly a lot of people do. Can someone help me get to the bottom of this? 

Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. This is actually Kaydence, not Jed. I know you don't know me probably at all, but this whole WoW things is something I'm incredibly passionate about. I too am a gluten free vegetarian, by the way. Makes it impossible to go to ward functions...
    One of my favorite go-to quotes when it comes to caffeine (because I think it's consumed way too much and with little regard. You would avoid a cup of coffee but drink a Monster or in the mom world, a diet coke every day?):

    The revelation in the 89th section of the Doctrine and Covenants says:

    “And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man.” (D&C 89:10.)

    We should notice the word wholesome and always consider the things that we take into our body as to whether they are wholesome or not. The scripture continues, “All these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.” (D&C 89:11.) Consider the word prudence.

    Would eating a whole apple pie or a cake or watermelon at one sitting be prudent? It is contrary to the principles embodied in the Word of Wisdom to take an excess of anything into our bodies.

    Two of the tests we can employ as we question the use of any food or beverage are: Is it wholesome? Is it prudent? As we know, some of us need more rest than others. These same principles imply that we should not tax our bodies beyond good judgment. Finally, remember that the Lord has counseled:

    “For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.” (D&C 58:26.)

    We know that cola drinks contain the drug caffeine. We know caffeine is not wholesome nor prudent for the use of our bodies. It is only sound judgment to conclude that cola drinks and any others that contain caffeine or other harmful ingredients should not be used. –H. Burke Peterson, Presiding Bishop, Ensign, 1975

    ReplyDelete
  2. And one of my favorite meat quotes is:

    “Meat sparingly. Again, sparing is a good word. It means "sparing Gods creatures." It is to be used with thanksgiving and not with gluttony, which is one of the national weaknesses. (Overweight is one of our national diseases.) That's gluttony, which is one of the seven deadly sins. You have a right to meat, according to the 49th section of the Doctrine and Covenants. The family who needs a deer to get through the winter have a right to that. The Lord will not deny them, but He is also pleased with those who forbear. They can eat meat only in times of starvation, winter, cold, famine. "Starve" means to die of cold as well as of famine. And the Saints need meat to see them through the winter and restore their fainting strength. Remember the miracle of the quails, for example. Game only in times of famine and excess of hunger. But the supplies are limited, and we cannot afford to hunt the year round, promiscuously. At the first sight of buffalo in Iowa—the plain was covered with buffalo as far as the eye could see—Brigham Young called the brethren together and told them not to shoot one unless they absolutely need it. And this turned out to be a great blessing for them.” – Hugh Nibley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these quotes! Thanks Kaydence. And yes, I know you...we met long ago in Cedar City.

    ReplyDelete