June 28, 2011

"The gradual increase of light radiating from the rising sun is like receiving a message from God "line upon line, precept upon precept." Most frequently, revelation comes in small increments over time and is granted according to our desire, worthiness and preparation.' - Elder David Bednar

Last night I called my mom. The connection was poor; her responses were delayed by the thousands of miles of ocean and water between us; but as usual, just hearing her voice and wisdom brought me peace. She asked if she could pray for anything. "Power!" I said. We've been without power for five days - which complicates a number of things with the projects I'm working on right now.

This morning, there was power. I never underestimate the prayers of my mom.

Lately, however, I've realized how often the answers to prayers (at least my own) come more like the rising sun, rather than the sudden presence of power. I pray and pray and ponder and think about something, and the answers come, with time. Not all at once, but so gradually and surely that in time I cannot deny that not only have my prayers been answers, but I have changed in new and unexpected ways as well. 

"[God] will give to all the children of men a knowledge of the truth that will stay with them, and it will make them to know the truth, as God knows it, and to do the will of the Father as Christ does it." (ibid)

No comments:

Post a Comment