May 8, 2011

The Sunday Post

Dear Mama,

You carried me in the womb for 9 months (don't worry, I'm not about to get medical) and then carried me on your hip for at least another two years. What you may not know is that you still carry me at times...like one week ago when you wiped away my tears from over 600 miles away. I may not have been able to hold myself up without your advice.

Today I saw a grown man weep when he saw the signature of his mother who passed away over a year ago. And then he asked to keep the piece of paper with her writing on it. I thought about you and how you have always made me feel safe and cared for and I knew that I would have been compelled to do the same thing in that moment. There is nothing like the love of a mother. Or even the reminder of a loving mother. Thanks for watching out for me with the perspective that only a mom can have. It has rescued me in many ways.

I miss you.

Love,
Heather

p.s. This is a favorite talk and a great read for Mother's day.

2 comments:

  1. You both look so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being my precious daughter. I love you.

    ReplyDelete