May 19, 2011

The Mormon Jersey Shore

Juuuust in case you haven't seen this Newsweek article yet: The Mormon Jersey Shore. More Duck Beach.

I have mixed feelings about the whole Duck Beach experience. It seems to put more emphasis than is needed on the superficial. I've had friends who have come back discouraged about things that don't really matter. On the other hand, I think it's mostly filled with good guys & girls in pursuit of happy marriages, not just superficial admiration.

I was a holdout, but I'll admit that when I finally gave in a couple of years ago - I had a pretty good time. I mean it's the beach! And I've had a couple of friends marry people they met there. There's even a Saturday seminar/conference for intellectual-types. Just like anything else, you can pretty much find what you want. Unless you meant to show up at the real Jersey Shore, that is, and in that case you may find yourself sorely disappointed. Immediate gratification is the Spring Break way but not the Mormon way. I guess that's why we throw our own party. Those of you going in a few days - have a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment