April 25, 2011

What About Bob? is a Post Modern Movie

What About Bob? is a classic in my family. I watched the whole thing this weekend for the first time since my childhood.

I couldn't resist sending off a few texts to my family with lines like 'Come on Bob, we've got a baby's schedule to keep.', 'Give me, give me, I need, I need!', and 'There are two types of people in this world, those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't - my ex-wife loved Neil Diamond.'

Most people who know me, know that I'm fascinated by worldviews (mostly due to my overuse of the term "Post Modern" in casual conversation). My graduate studies included some focus on Post Modernism, though we defined it way beyond the last wave of deconstructive and relativistic PM. (I mean really, let's not call the next phase "Post Post Modernism", let's just admit that we've entered the next movement of Post Modernism. Indulge me here.) Anyway, I realized to my delight that What About Bob? is a totally Post (Post) Modern movie.

Bob is a guy whose entire neurosis is due to the modern way of living and a resulting lack of human connections. The Establishment experts turn out to be the crazy ones. They ruin families and small towns. The ultimate symbol of their demise in the film is a bust of Sigmund Freud flying through the air as a piece of shrapnel. Many of us feel out whack at times in this modern world. I think I'm quite a bit like Bob and I've learned quite a few lessons from him. Including Bob's theory of relationships (which my mom constantly reminded us of as kids):

Bob You know, I treat people as if they were telephones. If I meet somebody I think doesn't like me I say, 'Bob, this one is temporarily out of order'. You know, don't break the connection, just hang up and try again!

Anna Does it work?

Bob Seems to be. I'm on vacation at Lake Winnipesaukee!

Love it. Thanks Bob Wiley, for making this modern woman feel a little bit more sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment