March 25, 2011

Happy Weekend to You

Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to the light. This weekend I'll be visiting one of my favorite places, George Washington's former residence, Mount Vernon. Not only is it beautiful and peaceful, but I've enjoyed studying the Founding Fathers and Mothers and it's a always good reminder to me of the powerful principles of liberty.



Martha Washington's wedding shoes and clothes. I don't know if you can see the age regressed painting of her in the back but she was quite a pretty lady.

There are quite a few fun facts to be shared about Washington, like he had false teeth but they weren't wooden, freed his slaves upon his death, never had children, and was given the key to the Bastille (which is still at Mt. Vernon), but what makes me really care about who George Washington was, is the wisdom and virtue he exhibited, which I think is best preserved by what he preached:

I love these quotes on morality: "Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected."
"Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder."

"It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible."

"Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."

"Let your heart feel for the afflictions and distress of everyone, and let your hand give in proportion to your purse."

I couldn't agree with his position on war more, and I don't think it's contradictory to believe it is both important to have a strong military, and also that an overgrown military and war are terrible evils: "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace."

"My first wish is to see this plague of mankind, war, banished from the earth."

"Over grown military establishments are under any form of government inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty."

And although he was against slavery and freed his own slaves at his death, he felt, as many of the Founders did, that there needed to be a plan put into place that was feasible and accommodating to slaves who would have so many initial disadvantages: "I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery."

And last but not least, these quotes remind me of the fight for liberty going on in the Middle East right now: "Liberty, when it beings to take root, is a plant of rapid growth."

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments."

Have a great weekend! xo! Picture from here. And one of my George Washington favorites.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. I loved reading this. And will be sharing it with my kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karina! Maybe you'll make it out to visit sometime (after your trip with Marie to Disneyland, that is)!

    ReplyDelete