March 2, 2011

Giving Back

For I was an hungred and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. . . And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 35: 35 -36; 40

Sometimes I think we wonder how we can really get involved in helping those in need in the world. I love the talk Sister Beck gave a while back (which I can't seem to find) where she talked about William Wilberforce's work to abolish the slave trade in England, and our call as disciples of Christ to concern ourselves with the greater world of need. I met this incredible woman, Reggie Littlejohn, while taking a tour of the Capitol. Reggie is an attorney, President of Women's Rights Without Frontiers and fellow Christian. She has helped to enlighten the world about the atrocities related to forced abortion. She has taken on the fight, as a single woman, and is truly inspiring to me.

Though it's unknown, it's estimated that the number of abortions in China trumps the number in the US by millions every year (estimated 13 million abortions last year in China and 1.5 million in the US). Many of these families desperately desire to keep and raise their children or at least have the opportunity to make their own decisions.

A lot is changing in China and this is an important time to time to fight against the human rights violations and associated atrocities of forced abortion. It's a cause that can be taken on by conservatives and liberals without pulling up the complicated US debates and will potentially save far more children each year.

So how can we really help her in what she is doing (or any organization we believe in)??

1. Spread the word - creating awareness has huge value for organizations. It helps to connect supporters and put pressure on those in power. You can help spread the word by "Liking" their organization on Facebook, following their Blog, signing their petition, re-tweeting or sharing articles that they have posted.

2. Send a contribution - even the smallest contribution (especially when it's a bit of a sacrifice) will go miles for them and for your soul. I love what Elder Huntsman has said about creating a habit of giving even when you have very little. We make a real difference when we give and it seems to be the quickest road to gratitude as well.

3. Volunteer time - while I'm not sure if Reggie is looking for volunteers, I'm guessing most organizations are in need of your help. What causes hold your attention? Do you feel your heart jump a little when you think about helping to feed the hungry? Clothe the naked? Educate the ignorant? Liberate the captives? Create beauty? Heal the sick? Have you thought about approaching a related cause about volunteering? It doesn't always have to be formal and if you believe in the principles involved who knows where your ideas might go! (You can search for volunteer opportunities in your area at Serve.gov.)

Doing these things matters!! It makes a difference! You don't have to be leading an organization to directly affect the life of a brother or sister on this earth. Much love, Liz


2 comments:

  1. Dear Liz,

    Thank you for taking the time to write this up about my work for the women and families of China. You are a woman of passion, compassion and action!

    Blessings,

    Reggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz. I'm going to follow their blog. Joel and I were so shocked and pained by this.

    ReplyDelete