February 27, 2011

The Sunday Post

My 8 year old nephew is sitting next to me...apparently noticing my struggle to write today (and also wanting me to hurry so he can borrow my laptop for some kind of important 8-year-old business). When I asked for suggestions he said I should write about Joseph Smith and that I should say, "He was a really, really, really good prophet. He obeyed Christ."

Suddenly I'm feeling tears well up. The experience of this man who I call a prophet holds a lot of weight in my life. In fact, it's the foundation of my entire worldview. What seems like delusion to some is a basic reality to me. Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ in a grove of trees...and he obeyed them. I know that to be true. I know it through experiences that are sure and sacred. Every day my knowledge of that event blesses me, enlightens me, stretches me, and builds me. I love him for his courage--it helps me to be more courageous. I love him for the sincerity of the questions in his heart--it inspires me to ask questions and find my own answers. He was a really, really, really good prophet. A true prophet indeed.

Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment