February 8, 2011

Favorite Books (Part I) - What the Scriptures Teach Us about Adversity

Thanks to Angie for the book review! About Angie: I grew up reading. When I was a kid, I even was grounded for reading. I would stay up until all hours of the night with a flashlight reading my book and when my mom caught me she would take the book away. I would say, "Aren't you supposed to be encouraging your children to read?" But the truth is, I needed no encouragement. Growing up, I thought, "Wouldn't it be great to be paid to read?" So I became an editor. I majored in English with a minor in editing and have worked in various capacities with the written word since college.

What the Scriptures Teach Us about Adversity by S. Michael Wilcox

If there is one thing common to every human experience in this life it is trials. Sadly, everyone has fears, suffering, bad days, grumpy times, and heartache. But don't lose hope, these experiences shape our characters over time and bless us with hard-earned knowledge. Hopefully, we cope with grace and temerity--or copious amounts of Haagen-Dazs.Whichever way you choose to battle through, I sincerely hope the next time trouble comes knocking, you will sleep with this book under your pillow.

In What Scriptures Teach Us about Adversity, S. Michael Wilcox gives a master class in surviving those tough times, whatever they may be. This book covers every aspect of adversity. The way he teaches and the perspective he gives on the lessons in the scriptures will cause you to examine well-known verses in a totally new way. You learn the true nature of suffering, why it is necessary, and the truly sacred and all-encompassing nature of God's love for each of us through our tough times.

Trials typically have a negative connotation, but the first principle he teaches is "The first great truth regarding adversity is the assurance that God can turn any negative of life into a positive. Trials are suited in a marvelous way to increase the godliness of our character and personality." Personally, it makes me a little frustrated when people tell me how much I will grow and learn when I'm in the thick of it, but it is completely true. The fact of the matter is "All trials will have an end. God will wipe the tears from all faces. It is a powerful and beautiful image, because only those whom we deeply love and trust would be allowed to sweep a gentle hand across our face to wipe the tears away. (Revelation 21:4)."

After reading this book I felt a new sense of patience, strength, hope, optimism, comfort, and courage. I wish words were enough to convey how highly I recommend this book. If I could purchase a copy for all of you, I would. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the worst, 10 being the best) this book gets a 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment