December 13, 2010

Travel will Change Your Life

One of the benefits of being a single person is that you can get up and go pretty easily. That makes the single years a great time for education, service, missions, hobbies, developing your talents, careers and . . .
TRAVEL!

In the last ten years I’ve taken two major international trips, to Europe and Asia, and traveled all over the US. When I was 19 I hopped on a Greyhound bus by myself and went to California for the first time. I stayed with friends and family and it was a great experience (and super cheap). I realized that travel isn’t that difficult. It really requires two things – transportation and a place to sleep at night. If you can get the first, you can surely get the second.

On Tienanmen Square in front of the Forbidden City in Beijing, China.

One of my favorite trip stories comes from my sister, Marie. She was sitting in church in Utah during the summer break and wrote on a piece of paper to her friend Anna, “Do you want to go to California after church?” Anna wrote, “Yes, I do.” They pooled together the little money they had and we saw them 2 weeks later. Don't get me wrong, you have to be responsible about your travel, but my point is - it's totally doable.

Steps to travel:

  1. Decide on your mode of transportation. Buy a ticket or put gas in your car.
  2. Get a camp ground, hostel, call a great aunt, or get a hotel and you are off!

Heather and I plan to continue to discuss travel in more detail, including traveling cheap, first time travel, traveling on your own, specific locations, and extended tips for travel, but for our first travel post I’ll leave it at this: travel will change your life. I guarantee it.

Happy travels over Christmas! Xo!


No comments:

Post a Comment