December 29, 2010

Beginnings and Endings

Some people don't just live: they lead a life. They don't sit around waiting for a lucky break. They create opportunities. They go after their dreams and bring them to life…. They develop a vision of the good life, devise a plan for how to attain it, go for it, and check their progress along the way. As with any great effort, their work is never done but ever-evolving and, often, inspiring to those around them. - Life Entrepreneurs

****************************************


Our family held our second Family Art Show over the Christmas break. We were blessed to have Heather and a few of my best girls along with us! The theme this round was Beginnings and Endings. It's that time of year again, when most of us try to assess our lives and create a long list of goals for our new beginning. Despite the fact that it's pretty unlikely that we'll keep many of the goals we set, I think the time we take to ask real questions this time of year can be very valuable. We've written a few posts on habits (here, here, and here) in the past few months. I'd like to offer a few more thoughts that have helped me to gain self-awareness on my path as well.

Questions for the New Year:

1. Do I love my life? If not, what choices will get me to that point (despite the worries of others, fears of my own, and risks involved)?
Trying something new?
Changing my job despite the security I have now?
Doing something I've always wanted to do even if I might fail at it?
Straightening out or deepening my relationship with God?
Moving somewhere else? Trying a new adventure? Going back to school? Doing something unconventional? Forgiving someone? Getting a better education? What are the key things, especially those I'm being prompted to, that would help me to love my life?

2. What is my "voice"? What are my talents? What was I made to do well?
Writing, teaching, healing, organizing, fundraising, visual arts, speaking, singing, creating systems?

3. What area/s am I interested in?
Education, media, community, religion, business, government, family?

4. Who truly has my allegiance?
If you set your will on obtaining something, you will likely do so. It's important that our choices are in line with God's will. Being in alignment brings such good feelings of freedom and peace and helps give us the courage to do things we may not have done without promptings and faith.
It's common for women to become focused on impressing or pleasing others, rather than finding out what God wants really wants them to do. Seek the desires that bring you a sense of hope and joy and all the fruits of the Spirit.
Possible Allegiances:
God
Self
Others
Evil (hopefully not)

5. Do I have a sense of my personal mission?
Christ, as well as other prophets, gave us directives on how to spend our lives. The best indicator of personal mission often lies in what feels right. What do we deeply desire? What submission gives us peace and feels right to us at this time in our lives?
A few of Christ's Missions:
Preach the gospel
Educate the ignorant
Comfort the lonely
Heal the sick
Create Beauty
Clothe the naked
Liberate the captive
Feed the hungry
Visit the sick and afflicted
Spread Truth

Discussing my life and true desires with God in a quiet space, and in a deeply honest way, has always been the best way for me to get a sense of what steps I want to take next in my life. Hope this will be the best year ever for you! xo!

**************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment