November 2, 2010

Favorite Books Part I - Why I Like It

Many thanks to Angie for the Guest Book Review!

I grew up reading. When I was a kid, I even was grounded for reading. I would stay up until all hours of the night with a flashlight reading my book and when my mom caught me she would take the book away. I would say, "Aren't you supposed to be encouraging your children to read?" But the truth is, I needed no encouragement. Growing up, I thought, "Wouldn't it be great to be paid to read?" So I became an editor. I majored in English with a minor in editing and have worked in various capacities with the written word since college.

To explain a little about why I chose this particular book, I think a line from the book itself says it best, "I don't know what to say about it, except that it moved me in a way one hopes to be moved each time [they] begin a book."

I don't want to give too much away, because it is really fun to see how the story plays out, but this book is about an old man who is a writer. He has no family, one friend, and feels invisible. It might sound like a depressing beginning, but in actuality, this man has affected lives he is not even aware of. The story is about how these lives revolve around each other and eventually intertwine.

I love this book because it really shows you in a wonderful way all different types of love. Love between friends, brother to sister, daughter to mother, and husband to wife; love of a belief; love of a skill; love of a mystery; and love unrequited. This book makes you think about the way you love people, question whether you are open to love, and just think differently about life in general. I felt happy when I finished it, and any book that makes me feel happy and lighter is a book I highly recommend.

1 comment:

  1. I recently heard Nicole Krauss interviewed about her new book "The Great House". The interview peaked my interest to add "The History of Love" and her new book (which was nominated for the 2010 National Book Award)to my "to-read" list.

    ReplyDelete